Friday, February 03, 2017

Look over here... it's a non-political post

I've been fairly political as of late and I figure it is time for a little bit of a change in scenery here.  It has been fun as of late sitting down and writing.  I'm not very good at it, but it's still a lot of fun and gives me a mental exercise that I don't often get at work.  Work has, at least for me, become somewhat of an auto-pilot endeavor as of late.  There has not been a large amount of change lately and because of that I feel that the message I deliver is the same each and every time I train or travel.

DO NOT get me wrong.  I like my job, I like the concept of what I do, I like the people I work with and for the most part I like the travel (I've always liked to travel, I feel that somewhere in my past biological history there must have been some nomads).  However I feel that I have become stagnant.  This is where the writing comes in.

I have been making myself attempt to write about a thousand words a day.  Those thousand words could be any number of things.  It could be a short story, or the attempt to start a book, or this blog for instance.  It's a bunch of stuff that for the most part no one will ever read, but I feel good while doing it.

As I stated a few paragraphs up, I'm not a very prolific writer.  I tend to shift tenses constantly, my grammar and punctuation leave a lot to be desired.  I tend to write in a very disjointed narrative, shifting back and forth between thoughts and ideas as I shift between paragraphs.  It's somewhat how my mind works.

Many years ago I named this blog Captain Non-Sequitur (I've actually had this much longer than I've had any other form of social media, I think I've always liked this form better anyways) because to me that is exactly what I was (not that I am a captain of anything) but my tends to be very non-sequitur when I think.  It is not linear.  It does not have a purpose.  I believe this is why I could never be successful at writing.  I'll follow a plot point for a while and then take a very weird turn and end up somewhere totally different than originally intended.  However unlike someone who is skilled at putting pen to paper, my path change won't make for good reading, it'll just confuse and render the reader unable to continue...

I think what I currently do is suited to my mind set.  I can present things in a logical way, and then take a turn and present them in a different logical way.  I'm good at taking more complex issues and topics and making them much more approachable.  So either I'm suited to do what I do currently... or I'm suited to do stand-up.  The only issue with the latter option is that I'm not at all funny!  Maybe one day I'll find a nice fun history or introductory biology class that I can teach, and then I know I'll be much happier in my work environment.

I'm an introvert who likes to talk with people...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home